Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, January 26, 2015

January 25th, 2015 - Letter from Home

Dear Vickie,

I hope your first week went by really well and that you and your new companion feel comfortable together. I have to admit that I've been thinking a lot about you this week--hoping that it's been exciting for you. I just heard that you and all the Northeast United States are in for a "Noreaster". You'll have to let me know how that goes. Meanwhile, here in Utah we are having above average temperatures. Dad is nervous about the sap returning to our apricot tree early; so he wants to get out there and prune the tree this week.

Yesterday in church we heard from Sean Turner who spoke about the importance of getting your education. His wife was also supposed to speak, but she got sick. So the Bishop called four people to come up and give their testimonies of getting an education. It was Colby Hawkins, Sister Canals, Sister Eaton and Harmony Beck. They were all so inspiring. It makes me want to go back to school. But there are other ways to get an education for people like me. Actually we should always be learning new things. A few years ago I made the goal of completing my violin performance degree, then getting a Master's degree in music conducting, then going for my PhD in Musical Theory and Composition. Wouldn't you know it, I was given the opportunity to play a very difficult solo in the Symphony and was able to take lessons from a violinist in the Utah Symphony. It came off very well. Then I was called as the conductor of the ward choir. During that time the Lord blessed me to compose music for the choir and other things. So the Lord leads us along to accomplish things--maybe not the way we planned. Last night was a youth fireside. Henry wanted to play the piano for the hymns, but in the end didn't feel quite comfortable. So I ended up playing. It was a really good fireside that introduced the theme of YM/YW about Mosiah 4:2. Key word: Embark. I was very inspired by the whole evening.

Saturday we had Marci's first birthday party. Beth made a blue cake that Marci could dig in with her hands. She didn't dig in until her parents showed her how. What a clean little princess! Funny thing is her poop was blue. LOL That was in the afternoon. In the evening the women--Shayla, Marie, Beth, Tonya, Aunt Malinda and I went to Las Glorias for dinner and to talk. We left all the kids with the Men at home where they ate pizza and played board/card games. Everyone had a nice time.

Friday night Dad and I went to Applebee's with my coupon. Then we came home and made a cake together. It was fun, and the cake was so delicious. Beth wants me to make it for her birthday this coming Saturday. It was a carrot cake with carrots, pineapple, pecans, walnuts and coconut in it. Then when the cake came out of the oven, I poured a buttermilk glaze over the 3 layers. After they cooled I frosted it with cream cheese frosting. Yummm!!! If you remember you'll have to ask me to make one when you get home. Maybe for your 21st birthday!

Henry and Trevor had Monday and Friday off of school. Monday was Martin Luther King Day and Friday was the end of the quarter. So today Henry is excited to start two new classes. Trevor has the same schedule. I warned him that they might change him to the other seminary teacher for the next two quarters. He wants to stay with his same teacher, I think. Anyway, Trevor went on the Klondike campout. It was held at the Heber Girls Camp. He said he was cold the whole time. Our snow pants were too little for him so I gave them away. Poor guy. He was not happy.

I babysat Abrielle and Nathan Wednesday night. We had a good time and on Thursday night we are going to have a Grandma Sleepover with both of them because Nathan has now qualified for that fun event. Jacob and Shayla are going to Arizona for a family vacation this next Saturday and they are taking my van. I reluctantly said they could because they have so many kids to fit in their little car. I guess I can sacrifice for a week. LOL I will drive around their black car. Maybe I will look cool in it.

Well, I'm not sure when your P-Day is because I was expecting it on Mondays; but I got an email from you on Wednesday. So we'll see this week what happens. At least I got this email out just in case you see it on Monday. Aunt Laura's birthday was yesterday and Dad and I sent her a package of Whitman's chocolates. I almost kept it for myself! (not really) Tuesday is Joshua's birthday. He will be 4! I think I already sent his card and gift. Then, of course, Bethie is Saturday. I hope you have a wonderful week--in spite of the cold weather and 2 feet of snow expected to fall! I'm sure you'll survive. I have a lot of faith that Heavenly Father will take care of you. Who knows, it might be the time the missionaries get to help other people out. I love you soooo much! Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment